Principles and Purpose
Youth Challenge Secondary Unit is an alternative educational provision for Key Stage 3 & 4 pupils aged 11 - 16 years old. We provide medium to longer-term support for students who have been designated as ‘Permanently Excluded’ and shorter-term support for those designated as ‘Pupil's At Risk of Exclusion’.
We aim to:
- Provide ‘focused respite’ in terms of breaking phase 1 cycles of conflict often rooted in high-anxiety and fight responses.
- Provide an alternative educational environment that will likely lead to more successful phase 2 outcomes in terms of achievement of qualifications.
- Provide a programme of purposeful, personalised learning, mentoring and enrichment that will make inroads into a young person’s perspective of themselves, others and the value of learning – with a view to them making a positive transition to their next educational environment (be that their ‘home school’, a new school or readiness for post-16 provision).
- Establish / re-establish trust and working relationship between school professionals, family and any outside agencies.
- Provide opportunity for more thorough, specialist assessment leading to EHC Plan referral where appropriate.
Our Values and creating a climate for success:
R – Respect
E – Empathy
S – Support
P – Personal success
E – Engagement
C – Co-operation
T – Trust